There are many benefits of turmeric for our health. The use of turmeric as a medicine to cure a number of diseases has also been used since ancient times. Along with the development of science and technology, some benefits of turmeric as one of the medicinal plants are many found.
Curcumin, a poly-phenolic compound is the principal pigment that imparts deep orange color to the turmeric. In vitro and animal studies have suggested the curcumin may have anti-tumor, antioxidant, anti-arthritic, anti-amyloid, anti-ischemic, and anti-inflammatory properties. This popular herb contains no cholesterol; however, it is rich in anti-oxidants and dietary fiber, which helps to control blood LDL or "bad cholesterol" levels.
Classification of turmeric
Turmeric classified into groups of gingers (Zingiberanceae) and divided into four types (white turmeric, red, black, yellow) has a scientific classification as below:
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Subkingdom: Tracheobionta
- Super Division: Spermatophyta (produce seed).
- Division: Magnoliophyta (flowering plants).
- Class: Liliopsida (dashed one / monocot).
- Sub Class: Commelinidae.
- Order: Zingiberales.
- Family: Zingiberaceae (ginger tribe).
- Genus: Curcuma.
- Species: Curcuma longa L.
Nutrient Content of Turmeric
Turmeric contains a chemical useful for the body's health, among others:
100 g of turmeric provides : 53% of dietary fiber, (% of Recommended Daily Allowance, RDA per 100 g)
138 % of vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine),
32% of niacin,
43 % of vitamin C,
21 % of vitamin E,
54 % of potassium,
517 % of iron,
340 %of manganese and
40 % of zinc.
but 0% cholesterol.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
These 20 health benefits of turmeric for us.
- Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful as a disinfectant like any ordinary wound burns.
- When combined with cauliflower, turmeric has been shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
- Prevent breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice.
- Turmeric could prevent melanoma skin cancer and melanoma cell death caused by itself.
- Turmeric reduces the risk of of leukemia.
- Turmeric is useful as expenditures toxins naturally from the heart.
- Turmeric can prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease by removing plaque buildup in the amyloyd brain
- Turmeric could prevent the metastasis of occurrence of various forms of cancer.
- Turmeric is useful as anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
- Can slow the progression of multiple sclerosis.
- Turmeric is useful as a natural painkiller.
- Can aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management.
- It has long been used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression.
- Turmeric can be used as a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Turmeric able to reduce the side effects of chemotherapy treatment.
- Turmeric is beneficial in the treatment of pancreatic cancer. However it is still in the research stage.
- Studies are ongoing in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma.
- Research shows that turmeric can stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
- Turmeric can accelerate wound healing and assists in remodeling of damaged skin.
- May help in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
Side effects of turmeric
In addition to providing benefits, turmeric can also cause side effects in the body, such as:
- Cause stomach upset
- Can lead to stimulation of the uterus, so that pregnant women and nursing mothers as much as possible to reduce the consumption of turmeric.
- A number of substances or compounds in turmeric mostly difficult to be absorbed by the body, so that the benefits of turmeric can not be maximized by the body.
- For those of you who are running the chemotherapy, should not consume turmeric because it can reduce the effects of chemotherapy
Turmeric powder complements well with any vegetable or meat preparations and mixes nicely with other spicy powders and herbs, enhancing the flavor and fragrance of the dishes. Turmeric also has been used in the preparations of soups, salad dressings and has been found application in food industry like canned beverages, baked products, dairy products, ice cream, yogurt, yellow cakes, orange juice, biscuits, popcorn color, sweets, cake icings, cereals, sauces, etc.